Tuesday, May 6, 2008

The Official Picture

Tuesday, May 6, 2008
The Great Wall, Mutianu

This is the one that goes on the Christmas card, no question. What has me smiling, though, is half about being on The Wall and half about what happened moments beforehand.

Holly, in her very gentle way, decided to make my birthday one of celebration. As we stopped to guzzle some water, she suddenly produces packages of seriously yummy cookies and crackers from her shoulder bag for us to snack on. But before we take our first bite, she breaks into a huge grin...steps back about a half dozen paces...and belts out a chorus of “Happy Birthday.” It was absolutely divine, unexpected, heart warming, and perfect. I can’t put into words how much that meant, standing on top of the world, no less.

Right after that, she took this photo. It’s no understatement when I say I’ll remember this moment for the rest of my life. What a gift.