Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Home

Wednesday, May 7, 2008
Minneapolis

I officially land three hours and five minutes before I left Tokyo. Gotta love jumping time zones.

Process through immigration. Hold my breath while waiting for my suitcase to appear on the luggage carousel (which, thankfully, does appear, and is in one piece, still closed). Pass through the final passport check. Head out the door...

...and back into the U.S.

Oddly, being in my home airport makes it seem the past two weeks were some kind of fuzzy dream. My cell rings, and it’s Jenn, telling me she’s on the way. A few steps later, I see her waving from a distance, on her way over. Still, in spite of the familiar surroundings and familiar face, I still feel like I’m in that hazy moment between sleep and sunshine, when you know you’re at home but part of you is still in La La Land.

I’ll adjust, I know. Just not sure I want to wake up quite yet.