Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Remember Forgotten

I’m on a roll...or at least have some good karma rolling my direction. Already, I have another terrific vendor to write nice things about (gotta love that).

Forgotten Shanghai is a line of Asian-inspired home accessories, gifts, bags, and other sophisticated items, many constructed from exquisite imported silk. A year ago, I might have strolled past them without pause, but since my trip to China this spring, all things Asian tend to catch my eye.

Thank goodness this one did. Forgotten Shanghai is terrific. Terrific worksmanship. Terrific colors and fabrics. Terrifically fasionable pieces that elevate a home, office, or one’s personal style.

During a visit to their booth at NYIGF in August, a couple of us got into a conversation about smoothies being sold upstairs at the Javitz. On a dash to grab one, I snagged a few extras to take to their booth, as thanks for the warm welcome they’d extended me.

Imagine my surprise when now, a few weeks later, a lovely handwritten thank you note appears in my mailbox, along with a couple of lovely silk treasures in the package. The first thought that crossed my mind was “They didn’t have to do this,” immediately followed by “but I’ll remember them forever because of it.”

And this, dear readers, is the lesson we all should learn. I was already impressed by the line. Everyone in their booth was beyond gracious. The product is stunning, the quality is dead on. I didn’t need to be sold; they already had me.

Still, they took things a step beyond the expected, and sent a handwritten thank you note. This seemingly small gesture assured that Forgotten Shanghai will absolutely never be forgotten in my mind. They nailed it.

To Shannon and Margaret: You rock.

And yes, I love the treasures...will be showing them off at dinner on Friday night. Thank you.