Saturday, April 19, 2008

Off to the other side of the world

For those of you who don’t know (which is a surprisingly large number, given how hunkered down I’ve been with numerous projects and road trips lately) I’m headed to Hong Kong on Friday. Long story, short: the HK Trade Development Council contacted the magazine I write for, who then contacted me, with an invitation to speak during the Hong Kong Gifts and Premiums Fair about marketing trends in the U.S. gift industry.

Yes, I’m just a tad bit excited.

After a week in Hong Kong (only half of which will be work related), I’ll jet to Beijing for several more days of exploring...and to stand atop the Great Wall on my 48th birthday. Decided to throw in a few stockpiled Starwood points and upgrade to a Renewal Room at the Beijing Westin, where, according to the hotel “a fresh orchid and personal bathologist await to tailor your bath ritual from four regions around the globe; India, Orient, Mediterranean and Arabia to restore your inner calm.”

My inner calm is very much looking forward to this trip.

The laptop will be in tow, with the intention of continuing to post from both cities. While Hong Kong doesn’t concern me, I’m not sure what to expect in Beijing; the mainland is rather passionate about internet censorship. It doesn’t seem like something that should factor in, but my current experience with China is pretty much limited to dinner at First Wok or Leann Chin, so who knows.

The big issue right now is how I’m gonna fit two weeks’ worth of work attire and casual attire into a single suitcase.

We won’t even discuss the fact China Southern limits each passenger to one carry-on. Yikes.