Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Color me a Pandora junkie

I’m strapped to the desk today, which means it’s going to be a Pandora afternoon.

If you haven’t heard of Pandora, you’re really missing something. Simply put, it’s a free online service that plays music based on the songs you like. Today, I’m listening to Bing Crosby, Tony Bennett, Louis Armstrong and the like singing Christmas songs, simply because I typed in “Santa Baby,” then selected the Eartha Kit version from the menu that automatically appeared.

This is crazy easy to use (and free):

1. Go to Pandora.com
2. Create an account (no, they don’t spam you)
3. Type in a song name to create a new station (aka: playlist)
4. Sit back and enjoy the music, baby

I’ve created about a half dozen “stations” in my Pandora account, running the gamut from the Rolling Stones to Ella Fitzgerald. The system remembers these stations so that all I have to do upon returning to the site is click on the one that sounds good that day.

Don’t ask me how, but they nail the mix 99.99% of the time. On the rare occasion that a tune pops up you don’t like, just click on the little thumbs down symbol and it goes away forever.

(Mac users have two additional options: You can download Pandora Jam--a free standing player that connects from your desktop--by visiting pandorajam.com, or hit the App Store to pick up an iPod/iPod Touch version.)

Pandora’s great for those times you’re stuck at your desk, tired of store music, or in the mood for a fresh mix. A music playlist--custom built for the listener--is a pretty sweet treat and very hard to beat (see what a great mood it has me in?).

Now-—go try it out. I’m off to sing along with Bing and his buddies. Oh yeah. And get some work done.