Wednesday, December 17, 2008

2009: The Year of Quality without Complication

This past year’s been interesting.

For me, 2008 was pretty terrific, albeit filled with too many third party political agendas (and I don’t mean election-related). For my friends who own retail stores, however, it was an uphill battle filled with enormous challenge--in most cases becoming critical as early as June.

Regardless of whether your year fell into the “terrific” or “challenging” category, it’s safe to say 2008 was complicated. Reeeeally complicated. The past twelve months generally gave a lot of pretty smart folks some pretty serious headaches.

Which is why I’m declaring 2009 The Year of Quality without Complication.

Think: Quality without overthinking. Quality of life plus quality of business. Quality that spills over to those around you in a sincere, productive way.

So what do you say we all unite under the following declarations?

In 2009, I, the undersigned, promise to:

1. Focus on what my customers need from me more than what I need from them.

2. Better understand the 80/20 rule, then buy according to that principle (and if I don’t understand that principle, I need to contact Cinda).

3. Take five minutes each month to send a hand written thank you note to someone who’s made a positive difference in my business. If I’m feeling particularly cheerful, I will write two.

4. Create a braintrust of me and four other local business owners, then meet for brainstorming breakfasts once per quarter where we’ll drink too much coffee, eat calorie-laden sticky buns, kick around wild ideas, listen to each other’s concerns, and find ways to grow each other’s businesses.

5. Try at least one new internet-based marketing method...even if it scares the hell out of me. If that requires relying on my 13 year old nephew for explanation, I will. If it requires hiring the 13 year nephew, I will.

6. Stop dead in my tracks when things begin to spin too quickly...take a breath...and regain control. Life can only race as fast as I allow it to.


I have read the above, agree to it with all my retail-lovin’ heart, and sign here in black ink (because red ink is no fun):

_________________________________
Name

__________________
Date


Now, print...sign...and tape to your office wall. Or your forehead. Your call.